Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Family Vacation & Parmesan Ice Cream?

My family's heading off to California in a few hours for my cousin's wedding. Yay!

Bad news is I'm not going. No. I'm stuck at home. Studying. Yay.

So they spent last night packing and preparing and they were all busily trying on clothes for the wedding, comparing outfits and ties and shoes ... so I went and tried on some of my pretty dresses too. Whee, let me dream.

Dad snorted when he found me in front of the mirror.

Mom was blunter. "Fool, what are you trying on stuff for? You're not even going."

:(

I shall smuggle my way into their carry-on tonight.

Random tidbit, I'm a fan of Jane Austen so during one of my moments of boredom/procrastination, I was randomly researching the Regency era and happened upon an episode of this British food/culture show: The Supersizers Go Regency.



The Supersizers Go ... have many episodes showing various periods of British History (i.e. the Elizabethan, the Victorian, the Twenties Eras), but I happened upon the Regency episode first. Basically, it takes the concept from the movie, Super Size Me, which was about Morgan Spurlock eating nothing but McDonalds for a month and then checking the effects on his health afterward (horrific). Well, this show features restaurant critic Giles Coren and comedian Sue Perkins as they spend a week "in" a certain era, including dressing, eating and participating in the various pursuits (including a ball and how to "capture a husband") of that time period, before they conclude with a health check up to study the overall effects on their body. It's interesting - a lil bit of humor, health, cooking and historical info all at once.

And some of the food options ... cheese with maggots, parmesan ice cream ... heh.

This is Part 1 of the The Supersizers Go Regency episode. If you're interested, you should be able to check out the rest on youtube.

No comments:

Post a Comment