Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Birthday

Sunday was my 21st birthday. Whoo.

I'm not much of a birthday person because I tend to get flustered under attention and I'm an extremely indecisive person, as in when people ask "So what do you want to do for your birthday?", I go "I dunno. What do you guys want to do?"

Usually we go back and forth with them protesting "But it's your birthday! You're an adult! Make a decision! We'll do what you want to do!" until they either give up or their cajoling turns into threats.

I think they think that I'm just being easygoing or I'm trying to be a good hostess or whatnot, when in actuality, damn it, I'm really not lying when I say I have no idea what I want to do. I'm not a good planner and I'm ashamed to admit that I like to be a follower; it's a helluva lot easier. I'm up for most things asides from strenuous exertion or bodily damage or roller coasters or waking up freakishly early. I have an insane fear of heights and things that involve plummeting down and yes, I do rank waking up early up there. I wake up early enough for school and work.

So thank goodness I have enough leaders amongst my family and friends.

The day before my birthday, my cousin showed up bearing cake and forced another friend to come with a present: BonChon Chicken a.k.a. heavenly Korean fried chicken. After sitting around watching South Park and those funny fake subbed Bollywood music videos aimlessly, we went to a karaoke place to crash my cousin's friend's party and then somehow, I found myself mumbling Barbie's words to "Barbie Girl" while like eight Kens belted out the rest. It was scarily hilarious - I've never met a bunch of guys so into girly songs like they were. Of course, I've also never seen anyone so into crooning out "Funky Town" - Alvin and the Chipmunks version - quite like my dear cousin either. Such passion.

On the day of my actual birthday, I actually made the decision for my friends to meet up and grab lunch at another Korean restaurant (my life revolves around Korean food, I can't explain my attraction to it). They bought this raspberry mousse/cheesecake from Veniero's which we had to eat with chopsticks, courtesy of our funny not in the good way waiters who also waltzed by later on, holding out a plate and gesturing, if we would mind giving them a slice. We really should have traded it for something. Like forks maybe.

Unfortunately, my skillful nonexistent planning soon led us walking around aimlessly amongst the stores after lunch. Naturally, of course, it started raining. A sunny downpour, if you can believe it.

The day after my birthday after work, my friends took me to a Thai place/bar, where they introduced me to the wonders of sake bombs. I think they just wanted to use me as an excuse to go drinking. Too bad I didn't get my food before we did the first one and the alcohol just went straight to my head. See Helen giggle uncontrollably as she burns her tongue on spicy Roadside Noodles.

After all that, there was just a whole lot of walking. Walking to the piers. Walking to the stores. Walking to the coffee place. Walking to the cupcakes place. Walkwalkwalk.

For some reason, I don't remember it being very strenuous, but once I got back home, there was definitely this burn in the back of my legs.

And hence concludes my 21st birthday. I hadn't really expected it to turn out this way, but this year was definitely a pleasant surprise. Fun. Whatever would I do without my leaders?

2 comments:

  1. Happy belated birthday!

    My sister is like that also! We just gave up on her this year and planned it for her. *eyeroll* She turned 20 this year and you would think she'd know more, y'know?

    Talk to you later!

    Ro

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Belated Birthday! Enjoy your early 20s while you can. I recently turned 25 and am not happy to be closer to 50.... Life is scary on the other side :)

    ReplyDelete